A rogue Raspberry Pi helped hackers access NASA JPL systems
- Published: 20 June 2019
- NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) suffers from multiple cybersecurity weaknesses despite the advances it has achieved in space technology, according to the agency's Office of Inspector General (PDF). Investigators looked into the research center's network security controls after an April 2018 security breach, wherein a Raspberry Pi that was not authorized to be linked to the JPL network was targeted by hackers. The attackers were able to steal 500 megabytes of data from one of its major mission systems, and they also used that chance to find a gateway that allowed them to go deeper into JPL's network.
Read more: www.engadget.com/2019/06/20/nasa-jpl-cybersecurity-weaknesses/
Subscribe to Engadget on INclips: engt.co/subscribe
Engadget's Buyer's Guide: www.engadget.com/buyers-guide/
Get More Engadget:
• Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/engadget
• Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/engadget
• Follow us on Instagram: instagram.com/engadget
• Read more: www.engadget.com
Engadget is the original home for technology news and reviews.